Download an Application: Intern & Live-In Volunteer Application (Word Document)
WHRI trains individuals who feel called to service in developing countries and wish to acquire skills in sustainable farming, community development, and Christian missions. Live-in Volunteers provide 25 hours of work in return for housing and basic food staples. This includes on-site laundry facilities, computers available for use, and wi-fi in all of our housing facilities.
Live-in Volunteers are an important part of our community. They are encouraged to participate in all aspects of farm life, including devotions, class time, and field trips. Length of stay for Live-in Volunteers can range from two weeks to over a year. WHRI accepts Live-in Volunteers on a competitive basis as space becomes available.
Expectations of Live-In Volunteers
- Morning fieldwork 8:30-12:30 weekdays
- The work of Live-in Volunteers is crucial to the success of the farm and is how the farm is able to support itself. It is important that Live-in Volunteers treat this responsibility like they would any other job. Time off must be approved by the Farm Operations Director.
- Lunch preparation (on a rotating basis) and post-lunch clean-up
- Weekend Duty (on rotation, about once every 4-6 weeks as needed)
- Farmer’s Market Duty (on rotation, about once every 4-6 weeks as needed)
- Lead tour groups and be involved with community education, such as our Living on the Other Side (LOTOS) experiences
- Participate in Farm Day and other special events
- Maintain dorm cleanliness
- Attend community meeting weekly
- Take responsibility for morning chores
- Live-in Volunteers are encouraged to participate in morning devotions and community lunches – these are important community-building times
- Participate in field trips and conferences and
- Participate in WHRI’s committees
- Complete reading assignments to accompany class, or develop a reading list with WHRI staff
- Conduct independent research projects
- Local church involvement is recommended
- Live-in Volunteers who are here long-term, may wish to consider having a host family assigned to them
E-mail our Training Manager for more information, or to turn in an application.